During the month of March, we hope to encourage you to learn more about Developmental Disability, get to know someone affected by disability, support someone or an organization in the disability community, and spend time thinking about the ways in which you might treat people differently based on their perceived disability. We have put together a list of resources to help you deepen your understanding of disability:
- Read about the lived experience of disability
- Claiming Disability by Simi Linton
- Including People with Disabilities in Faith Communities by Erik Carter
- Why I burned My Book and Other Essays on Disability by Paul Longmore
- Rethinking disability: the social model of disability and chronic disease by Sara Goering
- Watch a video to learn more about the experiences of people who experience disability
Because Who Is Perfect?
Not Special Needs
I’m not your inspiration, thank you very much
Our fight for disability rights and why we’re not done yet
Spread the Word to End the Word – Hope College RFL
- Attend a local event
3/21/19 @6pm – Rock Your Socks Dance
- 3/22/19 @ 10am – Tony Bonifiglo speaking here at David’s House!
- Have a conversation about disability with a family member or friend
- Support our friends in the disability community
Stir It Up Bakery
Beer City Dog Biscuits
My Team Triumph – West Michigan
Arts In Motion
- Hand-made cards from our very own Joel!
These actions should not be limited to one month out of the year, but we hope for this to be a starting point for you to get involved in the disability community. Let us know what you learn!
For more resources, visit www.nacdd.org/ddam
Guest Contributor Lisa Glover – David’s House Program & Volunteer Coordinator